Support “Occupy Wall Street” and Make Corporate CEOs…
Pay U.S. Back!
Wall Street and big corporations in America have the largest cash reserves and profits in history. CEO salaries and bonuses are at an all-time high. And the top 1% have taken for themselves the largest share of our country’s wealth they’ve ever had.
That’s money that big corporations and the top 1% took from us, the 99%. They drove down wages and destroyed our retirement savings. They illegally took people’s homes. And they’re gouging us for health insurance, gas, and prescription drugs.
They also took our money by rigging the tax code so they pay lower rates than most working people. That’s why our schools and other essential community services are being slashed and Social Security and Medicare are threatened.
Here are some practical solutions to make them “Pay U.S. Back”:
1. Make big corporations and the top 1% pay their share to put Americans back to work. If they paid taxes like they used to, we could create good jobs building a clean energy economy, modernizing our schools and transportation system, and maintaining essential services in our communities. (See Inequality.org and OCPP.org)
2. Stop mortgage rip-offs. Banks are charging homeowners mortgage payments based on the value of homes before Wall Street destroyed home values. They are only entitled to payments based on what homes are worth now. That one change alone would bring $71 billion a year of our money back from Wall Street and support 1 million jobs in America. (See “The Win-Win Solution” at NewBottomLine.com.)
3. Restore the future for America’s young people. Millions of young people played by the rules by getting student loans to get a good education and a productive job. But then they were double-crossed. Tuition and loan sizes soared when big corporations and the top 1% stopped contributing their share for college budgets. And when Wall Street tanked the economy, millions of good-paying jobs needed to repay the loans disappeared. It’s time to suspend student loan payments, at least until unemployment drops to normal levels again.
You can show your support for Pay U.S. Back solutions…
- Join Occupy Wall Street events in our community in the coming days and months.
- Tell our elected officials to stand up for the 99%, not Wall Street.
- Move your money from national banks to local credit unions and community banks, and encourage local governments and organizations to do so. (See OregonBanksLocal.org)
- Urge Oregon Attorney General John Kroger to join other states in strong legal action to make Wall Street pay us back. (See GoodGriefAmerica.org)
- Support creation of an Oregon State Bank to increase investment in small businesses, family farms, and good-paying jobs. (See OregoniansForAStateBank.org)